January 11, 2013

Melanoma Awareness

Why is it that if you have cancer and are female people seem to assume you have breast cancer? I swear Ive had numerous people just assume that since I already like the color pink, that since Im wearing something pink I have breast cancer. I always seem to shock them when I say "no, actually I have metastatic melanoma". This brings me to the whole pink topic. Everyone knows the color of the breast cancer ribbon. When asked most people dont know the color ribbon for melanoma. I even asked a nurse friend of mine if she knew. She didnt. Youd think that for the most deadly skin cancer, and one of the most popular cancers around people would know the color of ribbon, but no. What is the color you ask? BLACK. Kinda depressing dont you think?

I was talking to a lady that I had radiation with the other day. She was telling me how she had a nice person give her a hat that had a pink ribbon on it. She didnt have the heart to tell the person she had lung cancer, and the pink ribbon stood for something different. Seems to be a common issue. So Im not the only one thats sorta put off by this. The reason Im complaining (2 paragraphs later) Is that if I want to find some sort of melanoma awareness gear (shirt, key chain, jewelry) I cant find a thing. Compared to other cancers black ribbons are few and far between. This just is odd to me. With all the anti- tanning laws etc.

Speaking of anti- tanning. While my specific melanoma isnt sun related. (I mentioned in another post that I was tested for the b-raf mutation, and they found I dont have it. Which means mine is genetic not sun related) I still harp on the no sun exposure thing. Why is it that people still believe the whole "it wont happen to me" thing? Seriously, stop tanning! It will destroy your skin. While yes, you may luck out and not get skin cancer or melanoma, it will cause you to age faster, wrinkle, and hurt you in the long run. I see people I went to highs school with that look 20 years older than I do, the only difference? They visit the tanning bed.

Did you know? That in 2012 the estimate number for new melanoma cases was 75,250 to be diagnosed? The number for melanoma deaths, 9,180. That is a lot of new cases. Granted not all are deadly. But think about this. I was originally diagnosed in October 2000. They declared me a cancer survivor 2010 as I was 10 years cancer free. In October 2012, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. I thought I had been lucky. As do most people. Most have the "it wont happen to me" mentality. I was the youngest case of melanoma in the state of arkansas in 2000. My general doctor didnt want to take off my mole. Told my mom she was paranoid. I was very lucky my mom was "paranoid". To this day that doctor changed his way of thinking, and practice due to my case. My point here is people are not really educated enough on melanoma. They know about it but brush it under the rug. Its just a little sun burn right? Or I hear "its just a base tan".

So after all my ranting and raving here..... all I have to say is please think about it. Melanoma is a cancer that seems to get tossed aside. There are not many drugs for it. Its a very aggressive cancer. Most times it can even be prevented. So stop tanning, wear sunscreen even on days its cloudy. Check your skin, and if anything just looks odd get it checked by a doctor. Ill end my ranting now. I just get irritated when I hear people who dont really realize how serious melanoma is. More than once Ive heard "oh its just melanoma". Yea, just melanoma......


No comments:

Post a Comment