August 31, 2014

Sunday Update

The past few days have been filled with ups and downs. The doctors have finally zoned in on what pain meds work for Cassandra. She has been doing better overall. Yesterday she opened her eyes and started talking again. Some of the talking is about things she needs to do like laundry or cleaning. Other times she says things like pass the parmesan cheese. Most of what she says you can understand and is relevant to what is happening. She tells us that she loves us, worries about Elliot or what he is doing. She has been getting long periods of sleep, waking up afterwards says "I haven't slept that long in a very long time." She has been eating pudding and ice chips along with drinking orange juice.

She is still in pain and they are giving her a lot of pain meds to control it. Last night they had to give her meds to sedate her because she wanted to get out of bed all night long. The doctor was amazed at how much it took to finally get her to sleep. I talked with the doctor this morning and asked if she was getting better. The doctor said no, but anything is possible. The doctor was quick to point out that she is young and that is why we are seeing her talk, sit up and drink fluids.

The doctor is certain that she will remain in hospice and wont be going home. I know what she says is probably true but I do have a little hope in the gains she has made over 2 days. I know that all of this could be over in a matter of hours and every minute we have with her is a gift but I still have hope. Her cancer has done crazy stuff before like the first remission she had.

There is only one thing I am certain of, Cassandra is fighting to the very end and anyone that knows her wouldn't expect anything different.


Eric

10 comments:

  1. I am still praying for a miracle for such a beautiful person that has been a inspiration to so many. My prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything is possible. .I'm a believer in miracles. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will never stop praying for you Cassie! With much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your all in my prayers. She is definetly a fighter.. An amazing lady and a inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you Cassie. Please stay strong and keep us all updated. We are praying fiercely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you guys everyday! I have hope that she will kick this cancer!! I dido t know her very well but she seems like a very strong and loving woman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie, Eric, Kent and Vickie.... we are praying for you all. We ask that God continue to give you strength, courage and that he brings you comfort as it is needed. Even as a little girl I remember Cassie as a strong and confident person... she invited us to the Nazarene church and it was the beginning of many wonderful years and many good friends. We send you our love. - The Shiery's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for cassie and her family !!! We went to school together and were in band together , she is a wonderful person. I am just now hearing this and its all so heartbreaking. She is such a strong young woman I wouldnt expect for her to be anything but a fighter !!! I will always pray for cassie !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our God is bigger than cancer. Cassie is a living testimony. Please spread her story to whomever God puts in your path. I'm still praying for Cassie and all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PRAYING, PRAYING !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete